Thursday, 5 February 2009

My First Teaching Experience


My first invitation is for both teachers and trainee teachers to share their memories about their first teaching experience. If we find similar feelings and questions, for sure we are going to feel understood. If our experiences were quite different, we can learn from each other. Either way, we will enrich ourselves. Let's write!

6 comments:

Gabriela Duaigües said...

My first teaching experience, without considering helping my secondary school classmates study English, can be traced back to my Trainee practice. The University used to offer English courses open to the community, with three different levels. Those courses were tought by fifth year trainee students. When teaching I started feeling that teaching was what I really liked, but starting working, withou been observed my Uni teachers, definitely proved to be my passion. Getting into a classroom, from that moment till today, makes me feel that I was born to do that, that I can feel at home, that even though we never stop learning and making mistakes, that's the best place where I can be, besides my home. I always say that the moment I stop feeling passionate about my activity I'm going to quit...up to now I have the intention of being a teacher until I'm 80!
Gaby

Anonymous said...

My first experience at teaching English was in an English academy that used to offer business English courses to adults (businessman and businesswomen). At the very beginning I felt afraid because I had to deal with specific topic and also they have been travelling all over the world, so I did not want to make any mistake.

Unexpectedly I met really amazing and interesting people who made me feel comfortable and it was a great opportunity to share knowledge, they talked about their vivid experience in those countries and I taught them how to improve their English.

This challenging was fruitful because I learned, taught but most of all I realised that I love teaching and I would do all my best to be a good one.

Thanks Gaby to let us share our experiences. Rosana

gaby p said...

My first "real" teaching experience (public school crowded groups) was a complete failure! I was at a loss trying to call the students' attention while they shouted and talked and played as if they were in the break. I had to resort to a well-known technique: threatening them to get a "1" if they didn't hand in some excercises I wrote on the bb. I felt so miserable I didn't dare to teach at secondary schools for years!

Nora Benso said...

My first experience was also terrible. I taught for over 3 months in Hughes, it was while I was still studying. It was such an awful experience that I just remember coming back home at midday with a terrible headache. I decided not to work at secondary level again. Was it frustrating????

Anonymous said...

What kind of English do you teach in Argentina? British or American?

Gabriela Duaigües said...

Hi!
In Argentina the majority of schools teach British English, but there are many institutes which teach American English.
Gaby